Tuesday, August 4, 2009


I still have a lot of work to do on the dapples on this one. I've been working on the feathers and mane and tail, and added a little color to the hooves because they were bugging me. 
I'm still refining the color here. I've started adding a dorsal stripe but you can't see it in this photo. I'll be working on his legs and head next.
This model has required endless blending and layers to get the shading right on the legs. It's still not exactly right, but I think I'm getting close now.

This Apple Techie is a repaint of a repaint. Here is the old one:
I was never really happy with the paint job on this piece. It was one of my earlier works, done in airbrush and acrylics. I wanted her to be a buttermilk buckskin, but I didn't get the color quite right on her. She looks a little too lemon-colored to me. This is the model that I was too embarrassed to put on the table in a color class, when I saw all the other beautiful buckskins. Somebody told me that this model doesn't compete well as a straight Akhal Teke when it's up against the other resins like Khan, so I thought for this go-round I would make her a Nez Perce. I'm planning on her being a darker buckskin blanket appaloosa.
Here's another one that's going to be an appy, probably a semi-leopard.

A couple of fun SM foals. They will both be pintos.
Everything else is waiting to dry.

1 comment:

elf said...

I love watching your in progress posts. It looks like you did do some on the body of the shire. His dapples don't look quite so... obvious.

Watching these guys come together just reinforces why I know I couldn't paint. I don't have the patience nor the attention to detail.