Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weekly Update

No pictures this week. All of my active projects are either on the shelf drying, or being detailed. I'm almost finished with the buckskin overo Seabiscuit, the bay Mini Caprice, and the CAF, though I have found little areas to touch up in oils, which moves everything back while I wait for things to dry yet again.

The Eberl that I'm prepping is coming along slowly. It's amazing how many more pinholes pop out every time I spray a thin layer on it. It's almost as though the entire body has a texture of pinholes. I think there should be some kind of fundraiser to buy Brigitte a rotocaster lol! I'm half-serious ;-)

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Weekly Update

I had a really productive week, and several of these models are nearing completion. Here's the Shire I've been working on. I'm planning on painting shoes on him. I got the latest RESS technical bulletin, which has an interesting article about making shoes, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet, so that will have to wait for a future model.

This Seabiscuit has one brown eye and one blue eye. I may need to do a couple of touchups on him.

I've been detailing this foal. I still need to do some more details and touchups on him, too.

Valdemar has gotten a couple more layers of roaning, and I did a quick layer of black points.

I also worked on the Huck Bey and have been prepping the Rosita, as well as doing some more detail work on the mini-Maj.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Holey Moley!

I thought my photo lights were looking a little dim, and today confirmed it when one of them died on me. I have another one in the basement, but I have to go dig it out, so photos will have to wait until next week.

I snapped this photo while sitting on the couch. This is the first Eberl that I've prepped, a very interesting experience. Of course I've heard the horror stories about them, but this one appeared to be fairly clean when I received it. As I started going over the seams, I noticed some pinholes and started filling them, but then I started noticing more pinholes as I went along. They're hard to see. I sprayed a thin layer of gray primer, which actually made the holes hide, so next I sprayed a thin layer of white primer over that, and voila! Pinholes magically appeared! It shouldn't be too difficult to fill most of these holes, but I think I will probably have to fill some more even after I spray the first body coat with the airbrush. The ultra-thin airbrush paint is good at picking up any little flaws I might have missed.

Next week I should have some good photos!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

On My Workbench

Here's a shot of many of the works I've got in progress. Not everything would fit in my spraybooth (like the Huck Bey) and I've got a few others that I've just started, too. Most of these are between halfway done to almost done. I've been working mostly on the mini-Maj, the Classic Shire, and the Rosita.
I'm going to do a little more on the mini-Maj this week, then I have to let him sit to dry for a while. I'm detailing the hooves and braids on the Shire, then I'm going to go over the dapples again with oils (I think) before doing final detailing. I got impatient with the Huck Bey and ended up lifting the paint a little bit, right on his belly, so I'm definitely letting him dry off for a few days before attempting anything more with him.
I am feeling so out of it and like a hermit lately! I haven't been on Blab for so long, I don't even know what's going on. I like to take my time and go through each forum category to see what I've missed, but it takes so long for me to do that, and, well, time is in really short supply for me with all of the painting I've been doing. I do miss it, though...

Wednesday, September 2, 2009


I'm only working part time in the studio this week, due to several meetings and appointments that all seemed to land at the same time, argh! That hardly ever happens. I don't have much to show, either. I've been prepping a model and doing some pencilwork on the Classic Shire. I should have more photos of him next week.
I've had a lot of trouble photographing this mini-Maj, but these two photos are probably the closest to the actual color so far, at least on my screen. He's kind of a silvery-gray grullo, there's not a lot of yellow in him. His mane and tail are going to look really cool, I can't wait to finish this guy. I'm dying to paint the eyes, but I still have some other things to do before I get to that point.