Saturday, July 28, 2007


I've done some more painting to this Shire. I will probably darken her toplinea nd lighten her mane and tail somewhat. She's going to have a bald face and one stocking will be mostly black (I'm working from a photo reference)

Thursday, July 26, 2007


I'm finally nearing the end for this model! I learned a lot on this model, hopefully my dapples will get better and better as I go.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Nothing New

I've been working really hard on the dapple gray Silver but unfortunately there's not much to show for it that's different than the last picture. I'm just softening up some edges right now with pastels. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some more detailing done. I also worked on the Midnight Sun TWH, I'm really liking the color I'm getting with him, but I'm just not ready to show a picture yet.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007


I added some more shading and dapples by hand. Next I'll go over everything again with the airbrush. I was really afraid to put the dapples in, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007


I painted some more of the white roany pattern and then added the black mane and tail. It won't look like that for long, but I couldn't decide how dark I wanted to go on his leg points, and I thought the black would give me a good reference for how dark I can make it. My photo references show the points to be either a light brown all the way to black at the joints.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007


I've finally started painting this one. I'm trying oils for this horse. Once again, I love the way oils blend, but it's so hard to keep everything clean and not stick my elbows in paint that it almost makes it not worth it to me. I'm not the neatest person on earth, and having to hold the model in awkward positions while still trying not to touch anything is a chore.

Thursday, July 5, 2007

SM Andalusian

Here's a little Stablemate I started. It will be a repaint only. For this model, I tried sponge-painting the basecoat, but it was disastrous! I don't know how other people do it, but I had a hard time controlling the consistency of the paint. It was either way too thin or left a texture that I didn't like. I ended up sanding it and airbrushing the base coat.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007


This Spinnaker resin was supposed to be entered in the 2006 RESS Finishwork contest, but I dropped him, cracking his tail and breaking one of his legs. I started fixing him, but then my mother fell ill and I had to leave town for some time, and he fell by the wayside. This is my favorite resin. He's a joy to paint, any color seems to look good on him and I love the details.

After repairing him (which took far longer than I'd hoped), I airbrushed a creamy white base coat, and then added the color with pastel.