Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Weekly Update

Blogger is not cooperating with me today, so if this post is all jumbled up, that's why.
Sushi has another layer of roaning, it's finally starting to show.

I've started adding more to the blanket on this Rose Reiner. He's got two full layers of roaning on him, and now I'm going to start making more variation in the roan pattern. I'll also be going back and forth with the spots and pattern.
That's all for this week!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011


I recently finished this mini Nahar, I'm very pleased with the color. I am hoping to get more pictures of him on my website today. I will be offering him to members of my Yahoo mail group, so if you're interested, please sign up.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Weekly Update

Here's what I've been working on lately:
It's hard to see at this point but I've started putting some roan markings onto Sushi. This is just the first layer so placement of everything is subject to change. I'm going to try to make the roaning look really patchy.
Here's the other side of the Rose Reiner. I'm still on the second layer of roaning on him, so not a lot to see yet on him, either.
Dafydd has had some more work done to his mane/tail, some darker areas and a little work on the dapples. I'm going to let him dry for a few days before I do any more on him.
Here's a closeup of the Equus Maximus. He's going to be a blue roan, so I've sprinkled some airbrush speckles over his coat to get him started a little bit. I probably could have made it a little heavier, but personally I prefer the look of many layers of hand-roaning. I usually go in and scumble some paint around, too, as well as using some pastel at times.
Hank is slowly coming along. So hard to photograph!
I love this sculpture and have super-high hopes for the paint job on him. He's going to look so cool! I love his face. His movement reminds me of the painting of Napoleon on Marengo, so I've given him a military name, Captain Winters, while I work on him. I actually thought I might like to try sculpting a rider for him, but I know I don't have time to do it. I could definitely see him with military tack and a cavalryman riding him, though.
I've darkened up Stormy a bit. I'm going for a kind of dusty bay look, I still need to add some reddish tones and darken his backside more because he is also going to be a roan.

 I'm feeling better about Sushi now. I normally do my roaning with pencils and/or acrylic paint, but I think I am going to try the fleabites on her with oils. I've never done fleabites before, and never tried roaning with oils, either, so we'll see how it goes. I may have to switch to something else. I'm always up for trying something new, though!

I just looked and 7 out of the 12 models I've got in production right now are going to have some type of roaning or fleabites, so pictures may be sporadic in the coming weeks. There's just not much to show until it gets to a certain level of finish. I will try to intersperse the roan work with the non-roan work just to give my eyes a break.