Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Weekly Update

Here's a full body shot of the Rose Reiner I'm working on. Right now, I'm working on his second layer of roaning. I'm trying to incorporate the blanket in with the roaning as I work. At this point it takes me several hours to do each section of roaning and then I spray it before continuing. I'm working in sections: barrel, right hindquarters, shoulders/neck, underside, etc. Once I get 3-4 layers of roaning on him, it should start to speed up a little.
I've started putting color on Hank. He's in that really ugly streaky mode.
I'm still in the process of warming up Sushi's color.
I posted this Mercurio picture on a forum and on my official Facebook page, but for those of you who don't go there, here he is in his finished form.
That's all I've got worth showing this week! Lots of roaning to work on, so pictures may be sparse for a while.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Weekly Update

I have so many pictures to show this week, I had to leave some out! Here's the Jezebel that is going to be a red chestnut. She does look more red now. She'll probably end up being more orangey-red. Thanks for the tip, Jenn!
I'm warming up Sushi's body while cooling off her mane and tail, I think she's starting to head in the right direction now.
I've just got a base layer on the Hank commission right now. I'm excited about the color and pattern of this guy, but I don't know what it's called so you'll just have to wait and see.
A monster! I love this sculpture, he's so cool. He is going to be a roan. I hope my eyes hold out!
Dafydd has another layer, I've darkened his neck a bit and worked a little on his dapples. I have to work on the mane and tail next because they're bugging me.
Here's one of the mini Nahars I've been working on. I'm really happy with this rich bay color.

Okay, that's it for this week, hope you all have a great St. Patrick's Day for those of you who celebrate it! It's my husband's birthday so I'm off to get ingredients to make him his favorite treat.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Don't Give Up

Sometimes I have to remind myself of that when a piece is at this hideous stage. I knew I was going to have trouble with this color, and sure enough it is starting out with the wrong colors, wrong values, everything is wrong! How this Sushi looks right now reminds me of one of my very early attempts at painting when I was about 12 year old. I wish I had a photo of it, but the colors were almost exactly the same. Back then I did give up, and was so discouraged by my results that I didn't pick up painting models again for over 15 years. I didn't realize that I could continue painting and it would eventually look better. I thought everything had to look perfect right from the start lol! I'm glad I know better now ;-)
Here's a detail shot of the Rose Reiner that I'm working on. This is the 1st layer of roaning. I think I'm going to try something new with this one and incorporate some of the blanket in with the roaning and go back and forth with it.
Lots of chestnuts coming up. They always start out too orange. This guy is on his second layer.
This Mindy is going to be more of a toasty reddish-brown when she's done.
Nevada has another layer of oils. I really like the simple, clean shapes on this sculpture.
I've finally started on this Jezebel after customizing her tail and forelock. I'm planning on making her into a red chestnut. I haven't done a really red chestnut before and I think I'm going to have problems with that color.
That's all for this week! I think I'll be able to spray a couple of things that are almost finished and there might be a new face to see next week as well. Have a great one!