Saturday, March 31, 2007

Giraffe Neck

I thought I was measuring carefully but now I see that the neck is enormously long! I'll have to make it shorter.

Friday, March 30, 2007

SM ASB Palomino

I did a little bit more on the ASB. I'm using a reference pic for the dapples but I still need practice to get them more variegated. I started putting some dark tones on the muzzle. I love the luminosity I get from oils but I sure hate waiting for them to dry, it's a huge pain.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Shire Head Front View

Here's a front view with both ears attached and the longer muzzle. I've had to set this model aside for a little while so I can conccentrate on painting a couple of other models for an upcoming show. I'm itching to get back to her though!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

SM Running Foal

This little girl has given me so much trouble! She started out as a pastel project, but then when I wanted to add some details in acrylics, the paint kept peeling off of it. I spent countless hours trying to get it to work, and finally had to strip the model and start over. Here I've found some little flaws I missed the first time around so I'm fixing them with red auto putty and epoxy before I go any further.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

SM Morgan

This Morgan is coming along really well. I'm very happy with how she's come out.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Both Ears

Now I've got both ears on. I work so slowly, I wish I knew how other people did this. I did one ear one day, then added the other ear on the next day.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

I've added one ear back on.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007


I darkened the saddle area and tried to refine the dapples a little.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Muzzle Attached

I added the muzzle back on, making the head a little bit longer.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Shire Head

Here's the other side of the Shire's head after I removed her muzzle.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SM Morgan

Here's the SM Morgan. I'm getting farther along and adding points now.

Technical Difficulties

I am experiencing difficulties uploading images to Blogger. Hopefully it will be corrected soon and I'll be back to posting! Thanks for your patience...

Monday, March 12, 2007

Shire Head

A few people had suggested to me that her head looked too short, so I've set about lengthening it. I think it will look better with slightly longer muzzle. I also felt that the ears were a little too small and didn't seem like they were in the right place, so I will be re-doing those, also.

Thursday, March 8, 2007


The proportions are all out of whack on this thing. Today I cut the head off to move it out a little farther. I'm going to have to really refine the neck and barrel on him, also, lots of work on this guy.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Old Mold Morgan

Here's the other side of the Morgan.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Old Mold Morgan

Here's the Breyer SM old mold morgan that I'm repainting to a dark dapple bay. I tried to refine her legs a little bit before I started on her because they were really thick. I airbrushed a base coat and painted the dapples by hand with acrylics. I'll be going back in with the airbrush and more hand-painting as I progress.

Saturday, March 3, 2007


This is the Breyer Proud Arab Stallion that I took out of my body box and planned on just being a straight repaint, but it kept bugging me because it seemed out of proportion. It has ballooned into this gigantic project that I may never finish, but here's where I'm at with it so far. I took a lot of measurements from a photo of a real horse, but the proportions are still off. I'm sure I'll be hacking away at this one for months to come (okay, probably years.)

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Stablemate ASB New Mold

This is my second attempt at oils. I'm going to make her a golden dappled palomino. I don't know if it was a good idea to do the actual dapples in oil, but that's what I'm doing so far.