Friday, April 27, 2007


A full coat of paint as a first layer. At this point I noticed some flaws that I had missed with the primer, so I had to go back in, sand those parts down, and re-primer. What a pain!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Shire Head

I've built up some more depth and put in some more details on the face. I don't know if this is how other people work, but with the time I have available it makes sense for me to build up layers of Apoxie Sculpt.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007


I have begun to build up the cheek and muzzle area here.

Monday, April 23, 2007


This Breyer was meant to be a straight repaint but the front hooves were bugging me. The stacks are so vague-looking on the original model; I don't know if that was purposeful to diminish the whole idea of weighted stacks or if the sculpting artist just felt it looked better that way.

I felt like I need to make it look a little more realistic, so I researched photos of stacked hooves (very difficult to find, even on the web!) and did a little customizing. I don't condone the practice of weighting or soring hooves on any animal myself, I'm totally into the natural thing, but if I followed that principle with this model it would have turned into a drastic custom and I didn't want to take the time on this one, so I just made the small change and left him "big lick."

I'm going to try the color silver dapple on this one, haven't done it before and am a little nervous about it.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Breyer Silver

This guy is going to be a straight repaint. I love this mold. Right now I'm putting on a base color of Golden Titan Buff mixed with Com-art Titanium white. I'll probably have to sand him down a little bit.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Shire Head

I added the bits of forelock that I had dremelled off when I moved the eye, and built up a little bit of her nose

Tuesday, April 17, 2007


I'm having a lot of trouble with this piece. It's my second attempt at oils, and I had worked it up to a nice color and I thought the finish looked good; she had a metallic sheen that seemed to "float" in the rest of the paint, giving it a really cool 3D effect. When I sprayed it with matte spray, though, that effect disappeared and the metallic particles seem to be resting on the surface of the non-metallic colors in a weird way. You can't really see it in this picture, but it's there. I'm going to work on her some more.

Sunday, April 15, 2007


I shortened his neck and started taking some material out from around his shoulders/chest and withers. He looks kind of sausage shaped now!

Saturday, April 14, 2007

SM Running Foal

She's finally done! I haven't even checked how many hours I put into this little foal. I'm glad she's finished! More pictures can be seen at my regular website

Friday, April 13, 2007


I added another layer of paint and put some more shading on her face. After this I'm going to spray her and start detailing her with acrylics.

Friday, April 6, 2007

SM Running Foal

More refining. I've lightened her up a little and started detailing the tail, feet and face.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

SM Morgan

She's done! You can check out more pictures of her on my regular website.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

SM Running Foal

Some more refining using acrylic washes and drybrushing.

Sunday, April 1, 2007

SM Running Foal

I decided to try painting this foal in hand-painted acrylics this time. Previously I had tried pastels and it got really grainy and I couldn't get rid of the grain no matter what I did. So now I'm trying thin layers of acrylic.