Thursday, August 30, 2007


More refining of color.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Draft Horse Show

Today I went to the Evergreen State Fair and took pictures of some of the horses at the Draft Horse and Mule Extravaganza. I'm not the best photographer, plus unfamiliarity with my new camera made me overexpose some of the pictures on this sunny day. I think I set the aperture too open when I didn't need to because it was so sunny.

I did manage to get a bunch of pictures of dapple gray and black Percherons, some Belgians and a couple of Clydesdales. I got a lot of detail shots of dapples, legs, undersides and rumps. I wish I lived closer to horses so I could see them in real life more often...

Friday, August 24, 2007


All I have to do with him now is spray him and gloss his eyes and hooves.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Apple Techie for Sale

I've finally decided to sell my Apple Techie resin that I painted for the RESS 2005 Finishwork exhibition. This was the first resin I ever painted, and my first (and only so far) attempt at buckskin. It was wonderful to hold this resin in my hands and marvel over the realism of it compared to Breyers.

Link to auction

Monday, August 20, 2007


I didn't get a chance to take a good picture while it was light out today, so I just snapped this from my airbrush booth. I've started adding a little more detail to the face now (this one is in oils, not airbrushed, I just put it in the airbrush booth because there was a light there). She's going to have a bald face.

Working with oils is soothing in a way because it's slow and measured, but at the same time I get really frustrated because I can't pick the model up the way I can with an acrylics piece. It makes for some awkward painting angles, and then my elbows knock things over and I keep bumping my palette, argh!

Saturday, August 18, 2007


He's getting closer to being finished now. I need to work on the mane, the braids and the eyes.

Friday, August 10, 2007


I've been working a lot on this model but I keep forgetting to take pictures of it for this blog. Most of what I'm doing now is hand-painting with acrylics, lots of thin layers and dry-brushing. I'm so glad I bought those white synthetic brushes, they work really good for dry-brushing and really hold up over time.

I'm pretty happy with the body right now, so today I worked on the legs. I just added a little color to the mane and tail as a start, that's not what it will look like at the end. In the picture the legs look like they have a lot of gray in them, but when I use an actual gray color it doesn't look right, so I've had to go back in and warm it up with my saddle color mix.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007


I finally finished! This model ended up taking me a year to do, mainly because I set him down for a while, and then my mom got sick so I wasn't around to work on him for a while. I think he came out pretty well, I especially like his eyes. For more pictures check out my regular web site.