Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Week Update

Here is the mini Caprice I've been working on, finally finished. Bay is one of my favorite colors on horses. This one was kind of challenging because there was a lot of contrast between the light and dark areas.

I haven't worked much on the two SM foals I've got, but I'm getting close to the point where I'll be putting a lot of time into them. I think this is the second layer of color on this one.

Rosita already looks very different. She is going to be a challenge for me because of her longer hair. I'm sure she is going to go through some really strange transformations before she is finished.

I'm also finishing up the Huck Bey in liver chestnut, and the Bitty Bosco is nearing completion also.

I hope everyone has a fun and safe Thanksgiving! I usually try to watch my weight, but this is one day where I really like to pig out.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I usually airbrush the first few coats of my finishwork, but I discovered that there's a part missing from my airbrush. I don't know if it fell out while I was cleaning it; I don't remember ever seeing it before but the airbrush is out of commission for a few days. So this is hand-painted. I'm just adding a warm tone here, this model is not going to be chestnut, or even bay.

They braids on this very cute Swaps were sculpted by Tiffany Purdy. She did a really good job, he is just the cutest thing! He came to me already prepped, but I still had to fiddle around with him and do a little extra sanding, etc. because, well, I can't leave things alone ;-)  I should be able to put a base coat on him very soon.

I don't think I've shown this Bitty Bosco in a while. He's one that I work on when I have down time between other projects. He's finally getting there! I gave him very subtle primitive markings (not done yet). I plan on making a base for him, but I will probably make it so that it's removable because he does stand on his own (he's pretty tippy, though).

I have a couple more pieces that I'm putting finishing touches on, and I have been working more on that dapple grey Dinky Duke, but the changes I've made don't show up well on the photo, so I'll wait 'til he's more finished before showing him again. I also have a special model that I'm going to be working on, I'm itching to get started on it, and I'm prepping a Jezebel and a Fenwick, also. I'm not sure what color I'm going to paint either of those, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm open to hearing them!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009


 I am super-duper busy this week, preparing for the yearly art fair that my artists' group puts on, so I've only spent one day in the studio actually painting. I did manage to get a few photos shot of these recent pieces. I thought this Shire was as finished as I was going to get it, but I did see two little tiny area I want to touch up. I was going to paint shoes on him, but then decided against it. This guy will probably go up on eBay sometime next week or so. Here's a close up of some of the dappling. I used photo references that I took of a Percheron at a draft show a couple of years ago, and tried to simulate the graininess that this kind of dappling has.


Here is the adorable little CAF. She will be for sale also, I am planning on offering her at a set price to members of my Yahoo group, so if you're interested in him be sure to join that. This will probably be offered some time next week or the week after, also.

And here is the mini Maj that I recently completed as a commission. It's funny, I have found that a smooth paint job takes almost as much time as light dappling or a simple pinto pattern. The smoothness of the color gradations and overall smoothness of the actual model causes every little flaw to pop out.

I may not have an update here next week, but I will resume again the week after.