Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Studio Visit

I had the pleasure last week of visiting Becky Turner of Soltice Art Studio in Stanwood, WA. Some of you may know I'm extremely shy, so I was a little bit nervous about meeting her, but she's really friendly, talkative, and made me feel at ease right away.

Becky lives on a gorgeous Morgan horse farm (with gorgeous horses too, I'm so jealous!) with a gigantic oak (?) tree in the front yard. She's got a really nice little studio set up in her home, with a comfortable space for sculpting and a nice area to cast. I loved the Alphonse Mucha prints she had hanging in her living room.

It was really fun to see all of her projects in various stages, she's really creative and multi-talented, from little tiny ink drawings, larger watercolors and oils, up to resin cast models and medallions, and bronzes. She showed me a large bronze bust of a horse that was really beautiful! She has a nice collection of resins also. She showed me the cutest rat sculpture she's working on, it's mouth and teeth are incredible! She has a lot of interests and is really a fascinating person with lots of stories to tell.

Becky was really helpful and showed me how she casts her resins and medallions. She's very knowledgeable about the whole process, and really broke it down for me so I could understand it, and showed me all the products that she uses. She also gave me some tips on sculpting (and some sculpting tools!), including a great tip on how to make a smooth eye, and how to heat my tools and sculpt into the clay with the heated tool, I had not known about that! So now I'm thinking that I might continue to work on my medallion.

It was a really great trip and I'm so glad I went to meet Becky. I left with lots of fresh hand-picked blueberries and apples. I meant to bring my camera in and take some candid shots, but I forgot, so all I got was this picture of her (sorry Becky, I made it small!)
  Here is a link to her website, also, to see more of her work.

More updates next week!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my god! ROLF that is the funniest looking picture of me..lol I just had to make a weird face ..lol.. ok I dont really look like that! .. sigh no I do.. red face and all.. lol.. here I am reading your blog and I scroll down and ACKKK! lol.. ok I dont let many people take my pic..I dont think I photograph well and hate to have my pic taken so .. so. I guess I cant say dont SHOW ANYONE! lol no its ok.. .. geeze Im getting old.. I look so grey in that pic.. and old.. hmm well I did just turn 50.. does that mean I AM OLD? lol...time to get out the hair dye!.. chuckle no really Im so glad you had a good time.. you make me sound alot more interesting than I really am... and you come back any time you want.. it was fun! can you believe I used to be super shy? I dont know what the heck happened ..I think I finally figured . ah who cares what other people think..Im just me and thats all ya get! lol.. so now.. get to sculpting! girl.. and have fun.. most important rule number one.. have fun! oh and that tree is a maple and the grove of trees were cedars... oh and read my blog I cast that new medallion!
Becky
Rebecca Turner
http://www.solticearstudio.blogspot.com

elf said...

I have been meaning to get up to see her, I need to, she's practically my neighbor! Thank you for the reminder Carol, I need to give her a call.