Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Update (and a small rant)

 
First, the updates! Here's the SM mare, she's done now. I will probably put her up on eBay next week. This is definitely my best dapple gray to date. I was looking at my older gray pieces today on my website, and you can really see the progression. I end up approaching each gray differently, because the types of dapples are so different. This one had small, light colored dapples on a medium gray body that was starting to turn lighter around the head and flanks. 

 
This one is done, but I'm going to re-take the pictures of her. I don't know why my roans are looking so blue in the photos lately. I know they're not that blue in person. She will be for sale very soon, also. Both of the above models have more pictures on my web site in their respective galleries if you're interested.

 
I've been having problems with the pangare color on this foal. It looked too yellow, so I've tried to cool it down quite a bit. It might be a little too cool, now. 

 
I put a layer of paint on the legs of this Huck. I've got to do a lot of experimenting with the mane and tail to get a color that I'm happy with.

 
This is the first layer of dapples on the other side of the Dinky Duke. I think this is going to be a great-looking horse when it's done. 
I also did some work on the Classic shire, Pixie, and a couple of others. I'll be starting a Bitty Bosco soon, but I'm still trying to decide on a color. I wrote down "sooty buckskin" for him, but I'm not sure that's what I'll do.
As for the rant, it's computer-related, more specifically, web site updating-related. It's driving me nuts! I used to use GoLive, which was perfect for me and very easy to use, but now I'm using Dreamweaver, which I hate. I basically went from using a wysiwyg interface with GoLive,  to just opening Dreamweaver in code view and coding everything by hand. It feels that different to me. I've had to learn html and css (not bad things to learn, but I didn't realize I would need to know those things when using Dreamweaver), and now it takes me a really long time to update my website. What used to take 45 minutes now takes several hours. I actually bought a little program to make my image galleries, because it looked like it would be easy for me to use, but it's so limited that I'm now starting to fiddle with the coding and I've decided to start manually making the thumbnails for it, because I don't like the way it handles thumbnails. And for my other, flat artwork website, I've actually gotten a book on javascript. Arggh! Is it just my age, or is software getting harder to use? I want to go back to the days when all I had to do was drag and drop and press a couple of buttons...

3 comments:

Braymere Custom Saddlery said...

The stablemate mare turned out really nice. I am very picky about dapple greys (which explains why I only own a couple of them!), but she looks spot on. If she was bigger, I'd be all over than auction!

I think the foal is going to be ok the way it is now. I've spent a lot of time looking at foals in the last couple weeks and it's looking pretty good. The kids and I are going out to the barn again tomorrow and I'll try to snap some new pictures of the bay colt in the sunlight. He's pretty similar in color to your CAF.

Carol H. said...

Thank you so much! That would be really helpful to me :-)

Laura Dotson-Thomson said...

These look amazing girl! And I think the foal looks great. Not too cool at all. Foals have that baby fleece anyways which can be very cool-toned.