Johann has his first layer of oils. He's a little too red-caramel colored right now, I intend for him to have more brownish points and a cooler gold base color.
Ollie also has one coat of oils now. I'm doing something a little different with his white markings, I usually start with a white coat that has a tint to it, but this time I'm using straight titanium for more covering power.
Elsie's basecoat airbrushed in. This is about as worked up as it ever gets in airbrush for me, I'm so inept with it. When I paint I tend to get over-excited and start doing things fast, and with airbrush I've found that it really helps to go slowly and with a more measured pace. That's hard for me to do!
Here's a detail shot of Equus Max. He's got about 3 or 4 layers on him at this point. Roans are one of the things that I am able to move slowly with (sometimes too slowly). I actually practice breathing slowly and looking up a lot while I'm doing them. I find if you go too fast with a roan, you make the marks too long and it ends up looking streaky and unnatural.
Here's a Nevada sales piece that I'm trying to sneak in when I can. He will be a dun overo.
On this blog I plan to show my equine art creations as they progress, so you will get to view the entire process of a piece as it comes to life. I will also list items for sale and other news, as well as occasional product reviews and tips.
I hope we can all learn from this process and that you enjoy getting a little peek into my mind as I work. Comments and critiques on all these pieces are always welcome!