Monday, December 17, 2007

Studio Closed for a Few Days

I have been working on some stuff but unfortunately haven't had a chance to take pictures of anything.

At this time of year I traditionally make hand-made chocolate truffles. It's a 3-4 day affair for me, as I create several flavors and make quite a bit. Day one is spent roasting and shelling nuts. Day two I chop the chocolate for the ganache centers (I buy my chocolate in big blocks, this is a boring and time-consuming part). Day three I make the ganache (and this year I'll be shaping the truffles on this day, too). Day four I dip the candies in tempered chocolate--a very messy and time-consuming process. The results are worth it, though -- everybody who tries these truffles loves them and it's so satisfying to hear that little "snap" of the chocolate when I take a bite and then feel the creamy goodness inside. I can never do anything simple; all my hobbies, including cooking, turn into elaborate productions.

Unfortunately, when I make these candies it takes time away from my studio work, and I have to use the table I use for painting and the table for taking photos, so my model horse production basically grinds to a halt. It's only for a few days, though, and then I'll be back at it painting away. I'm working on a commission and finishing up the SM Paso, so I look forward to getting back to that.

I will also be taking a couple of days off for Xmas while I make an elaborate dinner. Yes, if I couldn't be an artist I would probably be a cook :-) Have a happy holiday!

No comments: